Sunday, November 21, 2010

Happy Cows



When a human dies, there is a bridge they must cross to enter into heaven. At the head of this bridge awaits every animal the human encountered during their lifetime.  The animals, based upon what they know of this person, decide which humans may cross the bridge and which are turned away.  -unknown

With my day filled with baking, hiking, organizing my high school belongings in my mom's attic and saying good bye to Wojc before he heads to Seattle (and China!) I haven't had time to think about blogging, but with my goal of blogging everyday for a month near complete I am motivated to post no matter how late.  A couple years back I had an anonymous blog that I occasionally updated and often linked over to Tabitha's blog for her Sunday quote posts. Some quotes touch me personally and this is a nice time to share them with others.
Several things have been pointing me in the vegan direction lately.  As a life long vegetarian I have always had vegan tendencies but too often feel the call of cheese and milk.  I am vegetarian for a wide range of reasons, animal rights being the primary one.
A few days ago as Wojc and I drove up highway 99 past Bakersfield, CA the smell of animal stench became unbearable.  We passed slaughter house after slaughter house with dairy farms in between.  You can glimpse a cow ever so often and the state of their misery all too apparent.
Today I went to the library and picked up Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Vegan With a Vengeance and was newly inspired to focus on more vegan friendly foods.  Cooking vegan forces me to be more creative, eat healthier and ease my conscience.  I have always felt compassion towards animals and this unknown author has a beautiful way of emphasizing the importance of animal kindness.

1 comment:

Jen said...

lovely dog and nice shot.